Monday, February 10, 2014

Homemade Turkey Non-Chimichanga Chimichangas Recipe

I'm not a huge Mexican food fan, but I do tend to make it a few times a month, as Handsome Husband is and it is one of the easier types of meals to whip up (though good and traditional Mexican cuisine is time consuming and takes skill I certainly don't possess, my mediocre Mexican meals work for us!).

When I saw this recipe for baked chimichangas, I knew I wanted to give it a try!  I did not end up following the recipe very closely, so today I'll share with you the "chimichangas" that I made, which I am calling Non-Chimichangas because I baked them for such a short amount of time, they were really more like super yummy burritos!  Yummy is all that mattered to me, and they were a big hit with HH as well!

Baked Turkey Non-Chimichanga Chimichangas 
Makes 8

3/4 lb Lean Ground Turkey
16 oz can Refried Beans
1 3/4 cup Salsa
4 1/2 oz Canned Diced Green Chilis
1/2 tsp Chili Powder
3 tbsp Diced Onion
1 cup Mexican Cheese
8 large Tortillas
Sour Cream, for garnish and topping as desired
Cooking Spray

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and prep a glass 13x9 baking dish and a large skillet with a few sprays of cooking spray.

Add turkey to skillet and cook over medium-high heat until just browned, about 5 minutes.  

Meanwhile, wrap tortillas in foil and put in oven to warm and soften.

Add diced onions and continue cooking until onions are slightly translucent.  Drain any excess grease, though I find with lean turkey you do not have too much grease.



Add beans, salsa, chili peppers, and chili powder.  Stir and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.  Stir in cheese and remove from heat.


Remove tortillas from oven, and put wraps together using a heaping 1/2 cup of the turkey mixture per tortilla.  Fold in ends and roll up.


Place in prepped baking dish.  As you can see, I was not concerned with keeping the size the same for all, but if you were planning to present these, you could be a little more careful when preparing the wraps.


Bake uncovered for 15 minutes.  Here is where you could extent the time if you prefer a crispier, more Chimichanga like taste.  Because I don't, I went for a softer texture and actually took them out just before 15 minutes was up.

I served mine with sour cream on top, and a side of Spanish Rice!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...