Thursday, April 21, 2011

I'm a Talker


Although the title of this post could go a few different ways, I am referring to “talking things out” (although I’ve been told more than a few times that I do just like to hear my own voice).

When something happens – a fight, a confrontation, a miscommunication – I have to talk it out.  Sometimes I envy people who can just let things go, and don’t feel compelled to talk out every little detail – I’m not one of them.

I do not like change, of really any kind.  So when there is a problem, and things are changed in even the slightest way, I get incredibly anxious.  As I’ve gotten older, this has only gotten worse.  It has even managed to become a physical manifestation now – when in an argument, or when upset, I lose mass circulation to my extremities and my hands and legs get completely cold and numb.  I wouldn’t call myself nonconfrontational, but I certainly get upset when it occurs.

So, being that I have such an emotional reaction to problems, I always find is extremely necessary to talk everything out.  I want to know why something happened, where I went wrong, how it could have been avoided, and what will be done differently to avoid it happening again.  This can be exhausting for some people, but for me, I just can’t quite move on without it.

So, to my friends and family, and even strangers who I talked ears off of, I’m sorry if I’ve ever made you talk something out until you’re blue in the face, but I truly can’t help it – I’m a talker.

Do you like to talk things out, or just forget about things and move on?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...