Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Things I Learned in Breastfeeding Class

Prolactin plug-ins.  Must have been snoozing during that section of nursing school, cause that is an expression I hadn't heard before.

 
It's a good idea to not tell your family that you're in labor (no matter how close they live to you), and just let them know when baby has arrived.  This wouldn't go over well with some of our family members...
 
These boobies have been making milk since Week 12 of pregnancy!  Say what?!
 
Babies are born full!  That is why it's okay that milk doesn't start a-flowin' until Day 3 or so, because baby really just needs to suck as a reflux, not to get full again.
 
Certified Lactation Educators are not allowed to teach how you how to side-lying nurse, due to the risk of SIDS that has been associated with cosleeping.  So they will get on the floor and show you exactly how to.  This is, apparently, not teaching it.
 
Speaking of Certified Lactation Educators, they might quite possibly be the most bubbly and energenic people on earth.
 
All in all, while some of it was a little funny (and maybe a little crunchy slash granola for my tastes), I'm glad HH and I took the time to attend this breastfeeding class (though I gotta tell you, 2 1/2 hours of straight boob talk with no breaks is a little rough near the end), and I hope it comes in handy when our little lady makes her appearance!  If you live in the Orange County, California area and are looking for a good class, please let me know - I'd be happy to pass on my information! 

1 comment:

Ash said...

When I was working as a childbirth educator breastfeeding was one of my very favorite classes to teach!!! And yes, we can get a bit nutty about it... :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...