Wednesday, September 26, 2012

On People That Dissapoint You

I think I have quite high expectations of people.  It's something I'm aware of, and it's something that has certainly caused tension in my relationships before.  I expect people to be perfect, to never make mistakes - and I have the hardest time forgiving them when they do.  I tell myself all I need is a hearfelt apology, but even with that, sometimes I'm not quite ready to move on when I feel angry.
 
And the only feeling worse than feeling angry?  Feeling disappointed by people.
 
Do you have anyone in your life who just seems to constantly disappoint you?
 
I do,
and you know what?
 
I'm done.
 
I am done giving those types of people the power to turn my day from wonderful to tearful.  Done giving them the power to make me feel worthless and low on the totem pole.  I am done allowing someone to make me simply an option in their life, when I continue to make them a priority.
 
Done.  Done.  Done.
 
But, how do I know that these people are actually in the wrong, and it's not my high expectations causing frazzle in my life once again?  I don't, and I won't.  But take me or leave me, I want the best.  And I can love you even if you're not perfect, and I can be there for you even if you're impeccable, and you don't have to be flawless to be in my life.  But I have to make a choice to remove the toxicity from my life - and something I find more toxic than almost anything?  Constant and continual disappointment.
 
Life is too short to wake up with regrets.
Love the people who treat you right.
Forget about the ones who don’t.
Believe everything happens for a reason.
If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.
If it changes your life, let it.
Nobody said life would be easy.
They just promised it would be worth it.

 

5 comments:

Ashley said...

This is a great post and like you, when people hurt me, whether I care to admit it or not I hold a grudge and struggle with forgiveness. I know deep down that they are not someone I want to be around, yet find myself in thier presence because of mutual friends! UGH! Why do people have to be so mean! Why cant everyone just be nice ALL the time?!

Anna said...

Something struck me with this quote, "I expect people to be perfect, to never make mistakes - and I have the hardest time forgiving them when they do."

Are you perfect? Do you make mistakes?

I know I do...all.the.time. How could I expect perfection from others when I am flawed myself? And if I expect the best, my high expectations should be for myself not everyone else.

It is much less stressful to have no expectations of anyone (other than communicated expectations from your spouse and children). Once you get rid of the expectations, life becomes immeasurable happier.

Cyndy Bush said...

I read the post that's linked right after yours (#42) before this one and it's kind of on the same subject. I totally identify. Some people in my life have really let me down recently during a time that I needed them badly. I still love them, but I'm done putting the effort in.

Megan said...

I totally relate! I almost wrote a similar post to this one on monday! Some times disappointment happens, I realize that but it is worse when someone lets you down! In my situation it was someone who doesn't USUALLY let me down but if it was someone who did continuously, like you said, I would def be done too!!

Shell said...

I think there comes a time to let people go because they just aren't worth the pain they cause.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...