Friday, July 26, 2013

Letters to Baby M: Your First Concert

Letter written Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Dear Baby M,

I've been waiting to start writing you letters, because it felt funny writing not knowing whether I was writing to my future son or daughter.  But, I felt so excited and connected to you earlier this month, I had sit down and write to you.

First of all, hi!  I'm your mom!  That is so weird to say, you'll find out when you get here I'm super hip, young, and hot for a mom, so it makes sense that it feels funny right now.  I can't wait to meet you, and I'm especially interested in what color your hair will be!

You went to your first concert this month (July 12, 2013), I saw Colbie Caillat with my Best Cousin (Your first cousin once removed?  We'll need to think of something a little more affectionate for you to call her) and she asked if I could feel you moving.  She thought maybe you'd be dancing!  I haven't felt you just yet, I can't wait for the moment I can feel you moving in there, and all the books say it could be any week now!

At the end of the concert, Colbie (who sings the best love songs and does a great show, by the way) asked everyone to stand and sing and dance along with her.  I kept touching my growing belly, and thinking I wonder if you can tell when I'm dancing.  Will you come out loving to dance like your momma or will you have to be drug onto the dance floor like your dad?  It was the first time I felt so connected with you that I felt like I already knew you, even though I still don't yet know if you're a little girl or boy in there!

If you're a girl, I hope you're like the pre-teen girls sitting two rows ahead of us, carefree and swaying to the music, giggling with your girlfriends.  I hope you'd turn around and tell the lady who told you to sit down (at a concert, hello?) to shove it (on second thought, those might not be the best choice of words), and that your mom told you never to take crap from nasty bullies at concerts.  I hope you'd be like the girl sitting with her mom, seemingly not because she had to, but because she wanted to.  I hope you like me as much as I like my mom.

If you're a boy, I hope you're like the many men entertaining their wives by attending a Colbie Caillat concert (not their first choice, I imagine).  I hope you'd turn out like the good guys in her love songs - the ones that treat women well, and make them fall head over heels not just for their looks but for the wonderful way they make them feel.  I hope you'll always hold a woman that you love's hand, rub her back, and whisper in her ear, no matter who is around.

I can't wait to find out more about who is floating around in there.  I hope you liked the dancing, little New Years Baby.

Love,
Mom
Linking up with: The Sweet SeasonThings I Can't Say

2 comments:

Hilary said...

Aww, I love this. I struggle with feeling connected. Probably because we haven't actually SEEN baby yet, even though I'm 10 weeks - I feel so behind the 8 ball! But your last paragraph about becoming a man made me realize that holy crap, I'm going to have a kid that's going to be an adult one day!!! Whoa. I mean, duh, but whoa.

Kate said...

This is so sweet, I even got teary. By the way... I'm having a ball planning your shower already! I'm going to keep the theme secret until you get the invitation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...