Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Guest Blogger: When I Grow Up, I Wanna Be...

How super helpful were Kathy's tips on surviving the first year of marriage yesterday?  I personally loved that she mentioned how when you get married you become members of each individual's family...very true.


Today, Megg from The Life of a Not So Desperate Housewife is here to talk about the path she took to get where she is today.  Very interesting - and so true that even the best-laid plans don't always go (cough) according to plan.


---------------------------------------------------------------

I'm Megg, and I write the blog The Life of a not so Desperate Housewife. I'm an aspiring librarian, working as an office assistant. When I'm not filing papers and doing data entry, I love to read, write, watch old TV shows long off the air, may jewelry for my Etsy shop, and cuddle with my cats. I live in Seattle with my husband, Geoff and two insane cats.

As of June 6, it's been 10 years since I graduated high school. Back then, I had high anticipations of what was going to happen in the next 4 years of my life (I don't think I had the foresight to look much past graduation!) I was off to a college I loved, 6 hours away from home and I couldn't wait.

Two years later I was transferring. Not because I didn't love that school anymore, but because they didn't have the program I decided I wanted: journalism. I don't know how I reached this decision, but one day I realized that's what I wanted to be when I grew up, a reporter. I graduated 2 years later, and headed out into the world (or, my parent's house) anticipating that I'd have a job within a month. A year later, almost to the day, I was offered a full-time reporting job.

Five years prior to that, I had no idea that that was where I would be heading. I had no clue what my life would look like, but I don't think that's what I anticipated. Around that time I also started dating my husband, who lived 3,000 miles away. If you had told me that this is where I am in my life, at 28, I would have believed a word you said. Never in a million years did I think I'd be dating someone from Idaho, of all places, and later would move to Seattle. The furthest west I'd been at that point was Ohio which, now that I've driven cross country (twice) I realize really isn't that far from home (Massachusetts).

The point is, we all have plans for our lives, but most of the time those plans don't actually work out the way we think they will. Since graduating from high school I've driven cross country twice, graduated from grad school, changed my mind about what I wanted to be (now I'm a librarian, working in an office, unfortunately), got married, lost my father-in-law too early, and bought a house.

Do I regret my decisions? Nope. My husband and I dealt with so many things, both good and bad while dating, but I don't regret any of it. It's all a learning experience and the most important thing I can take away from it is that plans change, and we are not in control, much as we'd like to think we are. I may not always be happy with the way my life is right now, but it's my life, and I'm slowly learning to accept that things happen in their own time, and you just have to go with the flow.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...